Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Out of the first set of photos, I would print either 1a. or 2a. I feel that the other two photos are too disturbing to print. It is horrifying enough that R. Budd Dwyer had called the press conference with the intention of committing suicide in front of many people, without publishing the photos of him actually doing it. I think the first two photos get the point across without being too disturbing.

I had a more difficult time coming to a decision with the second set of photos. My first inclination was to print the photo of the boy grieving for his dog, but then I imagined that boy seeing his picture in the paper the next day, and I don't think I could live with myself if I caused him more pain.

Printing the photo of the family grieving for their son who drowned would be completely insensitive. If the boy in the bodybag was cropped out, and I had permission from the family, I might print the photo. But probably not.

The remaing three photos are too distubring to print. The last photo is absolutely disgusting, and there is no question in my mind that I would not print that photo. The woman has obviously been through enough humiliation as it is, without hundreds, maybe even millions, of other people seeing what happened to her.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that the photo of the boy and the spiked fence is disturbing, but since he was OK, don't you think people would want to see it? I think, since he is OK, it is a great picture to use becuase it will attract more readers to your paper. Papers could always use more business. Do you agree at all?

    ReplyDelete