Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Thank you, Clinton Kelly!

I have always been a Clinton Kelly fan. "What Not to Wear" is one of my favorite shows to watch when I don't have anything in particular to do. I admire the way he can tactfully tell a woman that she needs a head-to-toe makeover because her current style is basically crap. I also admire how well-dressed he is, but I suppose that's part of the job.

Recently, however, I have gained even more respect for Clinton Kelly. He just wrote a book called "Freakin' Fabulous: How to Dress, Speak, Behave, Eat, Drink, Entertain, Decorate, and Generally Be Better Than Everyone Else," which my mother so generously bought me for Christmas. Besides being hilariously entertaining, the section on how to speak is actually educational; it's all about grammar!

Kelly's apparent annoyance with grammatical errors thrilled me, because two of my biggest pet peeves involve grammar.

The first is when people say "could of." It's could HAVE! The second is when people say they will "try and" do something. You don't "try and" do something; you try TO do something.

What do you know? Clinton Kelly addressed those exact problems. After years of restraining myself from ranting at people who say these things because I thought I was the only one who cared, Kelly finally made me realize I was not alone. The sense of connection I felt at that moment has led me to refer to him in everyday conversation simply as "Clinton," because I am quite sure that if we were ever to meet in person, we would be on a first-name basis.

One of the first lessons we went over in JOUR420 was the difference between "lay" and "lie." Thanks to Clinton Kelly, I already had a head start. How "Freakin' Fabulous" is that?

1 comment:

  1. I could use a makeover; at least I have grammar going for me.

    ReplyDelete