Wednesday, April 29, 2009

My Final Thoughts on Blogging

I'm not a huge fan of blogging.

I am really bad with keeping up with anything that has to do with posting things online. Several classes throughout my college career have required that I post things online, and I'm pretty sure I either forgot to do them, or did them late more often than not.

I always have trouble coming up with topics to write about. The current diversions columnist from the DI suggested that I look into taking over next year, but I don't think I would be interested.

Although blogging is not my favorite thing to do in the world, it was interesting reading everyone else's blogs and seeing the approach everyone took.

I think I would like it better if I actually started a blog with a focus. Maybe someday.

5 comments:

  1. I agree. I know it's part of a journalists' repertoire to be creative and come up with all these great ideas, but I never have any when I need them. I once decided to start a sports blog, but after two days of posting I lost interest, probably because I could never come up with something groundbreaking or even cool. I like reading other people's blogs though, so I'll just leave it to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I agree. For some reason, I have always pictured myself of being the type of freelance writer - like on Sex and the City! But, as I'm finding with this blogging homework - not so much. However, I am grateful for this assignment, as I'm sure I wouldn't have started blogging on my own. I think sometimes our eyes have to be opened as to what is out there in order to take advantage of it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trying to blog about editing related topics seems to be more work than blogging about fashion or food. It's really the depth you decide to go into that makes it more work. I could easily have a blog about bad headline that I read without any explanation of why I think they are bad, but I think we are all trying to do a little more than that with our blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After a semester of blogging, I have some of the same conclusions. Before this class I had never kept a blog nor really spent the time reading other people's blogs. Now I know that I enjoy reading other people's opinions and information. However, I found writing a weekly entry about editing topics was difficult. I'll leave blogging to the creative people, but now I'll look for interesting blogs to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Starting the blog with a focus doesn't help... at least it didn't help me. I started with a very pointed focus (I actually blogged about the focus of my blog). But as deadlines loomed and consistently forgot to make posts, that focus quickly got blurry. Now my blog is just a random aggregation of my thoughts at random points in time. So don't feel bad.

    ReplyDelete